Sunday, May 15, 2022

New Work: Birthday Blues


Even though my mother has been gone since December 2021, I can’t seem to shake my anxiety of celebrating my birthday even though she can’t ruin it for me anymore. As far back as I can remember, she would tell me some unpleasant thought she had about me on my birthday. The worst was on my last milestone birthday five years ago when she told me I was a mean and horrible person, and that she was embarrassed she gave birth to me. As another milestone birthday approaches, part of me wants to celebrate with friends, and another part of me wants to quietly wait for my birthday to come and go, so I can once again breath a sigh of relief it’s over.

Birthday Blues is mixed media on fabric. It measures 27” x 26”. The blue and grey monoprinted construction fence pattern is machine appliquéd on an embroidery I purchased on eBay.