Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Work in Progress: Dates in a Life Project 2020


Here is work in progress through August on my Dates in a Life Project 2020, a year-long painting project documenting the number of steps I walked, and the number of flights of stairs I climbed, each day. 

Since I started working from home because of the Pandemic, I have mostly walked 10,000 steps or more (the red shapes), around 4 miles, each day. In August  I walked over 9000 steps (the big black circles) on 6 days, which I think is also an accomplishment since there were quite a number of days when it was pretty hot and it's hard for me to walk when it is.

For me, walking is great exercise as well as a stress reducerI'm going to try to keep this pace up, now that we have less sunlight as we move toward fall, and as work gets busier.

One set of marks still not reflected on this painting yet is bike riding. I bought a bike on May 26th after not riding since 1984. I'm still trying to decide how to best make marks reflecting the number of miles I'm riding, in addition the number of steps I walk.

This painting is mixed media on stiffened fabric. I keep track of my steps and flights of stairs using the Pedometer app in my iPhone.