Saturday, March 2, 2019

Update: Dates in a Life Project 2019


I'm two months in working on my 2019 The Dates in a Life Project, a year-long painting project documenting the number of steps I walk each day. Above is a detail of February's steps.

I'm documenting my daily steps in fractions of 250 steps. As an example, after 2000 steps (which would be the icon with no paint), I'm painting colors to show as close as I can to 2250, 2500, 2750, and then up to 2999, instead of then rounding up to 3000 steps.

The painted colors will change each season. Winter is Teal Blue, Spring will be Green, Summer will be Yellow, and Autumn will be Indian Yellow Hue. 

The black icons represent up to 9999 steps walked, red represents 10,000-19,999 steps and yellow represents 20,000-29,899 steps.

To keep track of my steps, I use the Health app in my iPhone.

We didn't get much snow or have extremely cold weather in February until the last week, so I was able to walk 10,000 steps or more 8 times compared to 0 in 2018, when worked on the Dates in a Life Project 2018

The longterm forecast for March is much cooler than normal so we'll see how much outdoor walking I can do this month. One plus is daylight is much more than one and two months ago, so that is helpful. As much as I don't like summer, I admit I am looking forward to somewhat warmer temperatures.

The Dates in a Life Project 2019, which measures 37.5" x 33.5" unless I crop it somewhat before the end of the year, is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence as the background, handstamped rubber erasers on fabric which are collaged on the background grid, as well as handpainting and stitching on stiffened fabric.

Look for updates each month.