Sunday, February 25, 2018

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 February 2018


I don't usually struggle over my 12 x 12's when I create them each month, but this month I did. I had some ideas and I tried a few different techniques, but not everything worked out the way I had hoped, but I think I've got my 12 x 12 x 12 February 2018 in an OK place now.

The background photo was sent to me by a friend who sent me pictures of snow on what I think is a hockey net. The pattern of the snow on the sagging netting was really beautiful and I appreciate him thinking to send me the picture.

This month, instead of cutting the skin of the photograph and layering it on top of the "holes" in the construction fence, I applied the photo to the wooden board and then cut the holes out of the piece of fabric monoprinted construction fence and collaged it on top of the photo. That worked out as I expected.

Then I added the paint and the struggle began, mainly when I applied a number of different colors. After painting white paint over the colored paint, I felt like it was in a better place, and so was I. I also painted some small green lines to represent the bulbs that are reveling themselves in my front garden after we had some May-like weather in February. To finish this piece off, I added tiny dots of brown to try to show the ground in an abstract kinda way.

I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. I've now begun my 12th year. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.