Tuesday, August 18, 2015

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 August 2015


As a continuation of my decision to use photos from last winter in this year's monthly series12 x 12 x 12 August 2015 incorporates acrylic skins of pictures of ice and snow on the street, layered on top of a bright and colorful monoprint of a construction fence. The color contrasts the hot summer weather we're having now, to the dirty black ice and snow on the street last winter.

I've been working on the 
12 x 12 x 12 series for nine years. It gives me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each monthIt's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I have make something in the given month, and I can't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.

For my September piece, I'm considering using some pictures of a neighbor's white picket fence mostly buried in the snow. I'll start it on or after September first. Stay tuned.