Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Year, New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 January 2015


I've started my ninth year of creating one mixed media piece on a 12" x 12" x 1" board each month. Hence the series' name, 12 x 12 x 12.

After eight years, I decided it's a wonderful opportunity for me to continue. It gives me time to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. It's my monthly time to play. Some of the pieces over the months and years have been really good, and others not so much. The only rules I have are that I make something in the given month, and I don't throw the work out, even if it's unsuccessful.

12 x 12 x 12 January 2015 was created with scraps of colorful monoprinted and painted fabric that has the shape and texture of a construction fence on it. 


Layered on top of the large rounded squares are acrylic skins of a photo of pond ice, both the actual photo and its inverse, as shown above and below. I have dozens and dozens of ice photos that I took a year ago, and also this past week, while walking on a very frozen Morse's Pond in Wellesley, MA, which is a short walk from my home in Natick, MA.


I have 10 feet by 4 feet of very colorful fabric that I monoprinted and painted, and handstamped last summer, which I am planning on sewing and collaging with many of the mostly inverse ice pictures. Together they will become a number of different series of paintings, in a number of different sizes.  I've had ideas about this in my head for quite a while, and now I'm starting to the work of actually making them. Stay tuned.