Friday, August 8, 2014

New Work: Technicolor Fence Patterns Series

After monoprinting the textures of construction fences using only black as the base "color" in my work over the past few decades, I've switched gears and I'm now printing with color. 

Earlier this summer, I printed 12' of color on fabric, which turned out beautifully. Then I did another 16' which turned out so rich and saturated, that I didn't like it at all. I was tempted to toss it out, but decided to challenged myself, and push past my comfort zone. It wasn't easy. These pieces are still growing on me, but here they are. 

Technicolor Fence Patterns #1
mixed media on stiffened fabric
36" x 49"
2014

The Technicolor Fence Patterns Series is created using multiple colors to monoprint the textures of construction fences, combined with handpainting, and stitching, on stiffened fabric.

Technicolor Fence Patterns #2
mixed media on stiffened fabric
34.5" x 49"
2014

Technicolor Fence Patterns #3
mixed media on stiffened fabric
34.5" x 49"
2014

Technicolor Fence Patterns #4
mixed media on stiffened fabric
35" x 49"
2014

Technicolor Fence Patterns #5
mixed media on stiffened fabric
34.5" x 49"
2014

Now that I've used the 16' of challenging fabric, I'm going to start using the 12' of fabric that I love. My plan is to make a number of series, mounting all of the fabric on different sizes of boards, instead of stiffening it. I'm very much looking forward to this.