Wednesday, June 20, 2012

12 x 12 x 12 June 2012


Continuing my work with threads, as I get ready to work on my new series, Fences and Nests, I tried using black fabric as the background this month. Using white paint, I monoprinted the pattern of a construction fence, and also through the holes in the same fence. Then I attached it to a board, traced the printed pattern, and then applied a "skin" of threads on top.

The piece is a bit dark. I thought the thread colors I chose would work well on black, but now I wonder if I should have chose lighter colors instead of brighter ones. Hmm. I think sometime soon I'll try making another one on black with lighter colors and see how it looks.

So far, my favorite thread piece is the one I made in April. I'll work with white fabric for the Fences and Nests series. Or maybe I'll do a group on white and then another on black? I'm not sure yet.

The 12 x 12 x 12 monthly series are mixed media on 12" x 12" x 1" board. If you want to know more about this series, you can read past posts about it here on my blog, or see all of the completed work on my website.